Welcome To My Secret Spot


Ok, so it's not so secret--but it should be Top Secret Classified information-because I'm taking you through the dark, craggy, crevices of my dirty mind-sharing with you the sweet and the sordid thoughts, dreams, and stories that play themselves out in my head( and occasionally in real life). Sit back and relax--forget about the day's troubles and join my journey of debauchery. This blog is not for the kiddies, so if you are under the age of 18-be gone.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

5 Things You Want Your Kids To Know

1.  I want you to know how to win and lose gracefully.
-You can stand tall without standing on someone-and you can be a victor without having victims.
-"You're not obligated to win, you're obligated to keep trying to do the best you can, everyday."-Marian Wright Edelman

2. I want you to learn how to be respectful towards others at all times.
-Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others, even as we respect ourselves. 
-"Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners."-Laurence Sterne

3. I want you to learn-and truly know what it means to love. 
-Love and kindess are never wasted, in it's sincere form--it blesses both the giver, and the recipient. Understand that some people in your life may come and go--that never diminishes the love shared, for the love you put out there, made the world more beautiful from that moment on. 

4. I want you to learn responsibility. 
-I want you to learn that your word is your bond...how to stand up like a man and admit to your mistakes when you make them, and to try your best to correct them when you do. We will all make mistakes, no one is perfect...I want you to take the high road of strength and honesty. When you make a commitment or a promise, keep it--and always, above all--cherish, protect, love & provide for any precious life you bring into this world. 
-"My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own. I am the force; I can clear any obstacle before me, or I can be lost in the maze. My choice; my responsibility; win or lose, (see number 1) only I hold the key to my destiny." -Elaine Maxwell

5. I want you to know that you are loved--unconditionally. There may be times when we don't like each other very much...there will be times when we fight, argue, & generally disagree...I realize that's part of you growing up, finding yourself, and finding your own voice-your transformation from boy to man. Know that every rule I imposed, everytime I grounded you, everytime I forced you to look me in the eyes and listen to me...despite that "I can't stand you" look in your eyes...I did it to teach you something to take with you throughout your life, something that will make you a stronger, better man in your future, in the long run. No matter what you have done, no matter what you do--you are loved, and my love will not waiver. 

Those were my 5 things--but I just have to expound a little bit more...things I've read or heard worthy of passing on. 

  • Don't go for looks, they can decieve. Don't go for wealth, even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you smile.
  • There are moments in life when you really miss someone so much that you want to pick them up from your dreams and hug them. Hope you dream of that someone.
  • Dream what you want to dream, go where you want to go, be what you want to be, because you are here, NOW. Try to enjoy it. 
  • May you have: Enough happiness to make you sweet-enough trials to make you strong-enough sorrow to keep you human-enough hope to make you happy-and enough money to keep you comfortable. 
  • When one door of happiness closes, another opens. Be we often took so long staring at the closed door, that we don't see the one that's been opened for us. Don't stare too long at the door.
  • The best kind of friend is one you could sit on a porch, swing with, never saying a word and then walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've ever had. Friends like this are rare, so when you find one--try to keep them, but if you can't...know that you were both blessed by the experience. 
  • Always put yourself in other's shoes. If you feel it hurts you, it probably hurts them too.
  • A careless word may kindle a strife-A cruel word may wreck a life-A timely word may level stress-A lovely word may heal and bless
  • The beginning of love is to let those we love to be perfectly themselves and not to twist them with our own image, otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them.
I really could go on and on with this blog--there are so many things you wish to instill in your children--but as much as we try to teach them, ultimately we have to have the strength and faith to let them go, let them fly--and trust that they were listening, at least to the important stuff. 



Share/Save/BookmarkSubscribe

No comments: